MIAMI - October 21, 2019 - ( Newswire.com )
VP Plaza España Design, a luxurious 214-room hotel located on Madrid’s famous Gran Vía, has earned the prestigious Gold LEED (Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design) certification, solidifying its position in the as an example for environmentally conscious design and operation. The 5-star hotel scored well in several areas, including its sustainable setting, innovative design, water and energy use efficiency, and use of quality materials and resources, all efforts which meet the priorities outlined by LEED for Spain.
“We are honored to be one of the only hotels in Spain to achieve this important designation,” said Francisco Garcia de Oro, general manager of VP Plaza España Design. “Our goal for this building is to serve as an architectural landmark that not only revitalizes one of the most emblematic and visited places in Madrid but also serves as an example of sustainability in the country.”
LEED is an internationally recognized mark of excellence from the U.S. Green Building Council. It provides a framework for identifying and implementing practical and measurable green building design, construction, operation and maintenance practices through independent third-party verification.
Among the categories where VP Plaza España Design achieved recognition include:
· Sustainable site: the hotel was built in a high-density area that is well connected to public transportation and walking distance to main city attractions. It also offers spaces for shared and low emission vehicles, as well as recharging stations for electric cars.
· Energy efficiency: measures to reduce energy consumption include thermal enclosures and installations, dedicating 1% of the cost of energy toward renewable energy produced on-site. An innovative lighting and energy system with motion detectors to turn lights on or off, daylight sensors to measure ambient light and adjust levels to reduce electric lighting, and radio window sensors to open and close motorized window shades depending on available daylight.
· Water efficiency: measures include selecting plants for outdoor landscaping that require minimal irrigation, incorporating systems to monitor water consumption throughout the building, and use of high-efficiency fixtures and fittings, which reduce water consumption by about 33%.
· Indoor environmental quality: the use of appropriate outdoor air ventilation levels, intelligent controls for lighting and thermal systems, and daylight strategies to provide the optimal indoor environment. Other factors, such as the use of low VOC content paint, also contribute to the high indoor air quality at the hotel.
· Quality resources and materials: the hotel sourced building materials, furniture and 185 pieces of artwork in the region, supporting local economic growth and minimizing the environmental impact by reducing transport times. Wood used is FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) certified, sourced from responsibly managed forests.
Other programs in place that support the hotel's mission of sustainability include a robust recycling and solid waste management program, continuous education on sustainable operation practices for the staff, environmentally preferred purchasing that reduces environmental impact and more.
Related Links VP Plaza España Design
Press Release Service by Newswire.com
Original Source: VP Plaza España Design in Madrid Achieves Gold LEED Certification